Wednesday, January 24, 2007
We have been using the Group Solutions kit from IUPUI the last couple weeks. I particularly like this kit because it encouages cooperation and teamwork, as well as promoting thinking skills and logic. We have also been learning about maps in social studies, and the kit has several mapping exercises that the children love to do. Another activity uses coins which ties in nicely with our unit on money that we finished up recently.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Today is the 100th day of school! All students created special t-shirts for this day with 100 items on them. We have t-shirts with safety pins, stars, band-aids, googly eyes, dots, snowflakes, and others. Several students are showing their support for the Colts and have footballs or horseshoes on their shirts.
Each student also brought in 100 items in a bag today. We measured them by length and weight. We wrote about what we would do with 100 legs, pencils, dollars, eyes, etc. Students chose their favorite sentence and wrote a story about it. We have read several stories about the number 100 also. For math we tried to write equations that equaled 100 after we read the book 100 Ways to Make 100 by Jerry Pallota. Students also clapped, snapped, jumped, hula hooped, and tossed a ball 100 times.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Meet Martin Luther King Jr. by Johnny Ray Moore
Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport
What is Martin Luther King, Jr., Day? by Margot Parker
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
100th Day Worries by Margery Cuyler
- Do you consider Martin Luther King Jr. a hero? Why or why not? What makes a person a hero?
- How would you feel if you lived when Martin was a boy? How might your life be different?
- What have you done to make progress on your classroom goal? What can you do next week to accomplish it?
Thursday, January 18, 2007
We practice regrouping using rods and cubes today and will move on to paper pencil addition next week. It is important for your child to understand why you solve a problem a certain way, and not just memorize a formula or method.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Friday, January 12, 2007
Thursday, January 11, 2007
- writing a chapter book
- getting better at math/passing a timed test
- reading a variety of books
- becoming a better artist
- adding details to their writing
- improving their handwriting
- being able to count money correctly
Each student has a plan in place, and even came up with obstacles he or she might face and how to overcome them. Each goal had to be worthwhile, measureable, and appropriate for that child. Ask your child what he or she would like to accomplish this year.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Thursday, January 04, 2007
- Reading Workshop: Jan Brett author study, personal books, reading logs
- Writing Workshop: writing goals, dictionary skills
- Math Workshop: money review
- Science: understanding the science fair
- Social Studies: expectations, teamwork, map skills
- Thinking Skills: more analogies
- Computers: Harcourt Math, speech bubbles, inserting pictures in Microsoft Word
- Project: types of money
- Spelling: 00 vowel patterns
See you all soon!