Friday, December 14, 2007

I'm Back!

Today was my first day back since my maternity leave. It was an emotional day for me. I was happy to see all of the children and they were so excited to see me too. I know they will miss Miss Dishon as well. I am impressed with how well they are reading now. I had individual conferences with about 1/3 of the students and we chose new books for their book bags. I will be working with the remaining children next week.

We took our second set of quarterly assessments today in math and language arts. I am anxious to get the results, as well as review the first set. Other activities we did today were minute math, journal writing about our favorite part of school, and what we want to learn about next. We also read one of my favorite Jan Brett books, The Umbrella. We will continue to read her beautifully illustrated books next week. I shared with the class that I met Jan Brett a couple years ago and spent the day with her when she visited Indianapolis on her book tour. This afternoon I read a non-fiction book about reindeer, and we created a chart listing lots of facts we learned about this animal. The students made some great connections between reindeer and other animals such as cows and penguins.

Hope you have a great weekend. We're supposed to get a lot of snow, so stay safe and warm.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online